Saturday, July 5, 2014

Reading is Fundamental

One thing that I have really enjoyed during my service in The Gambia is having the time to read books. Back home I would struggle to finish one book because I was so busy. However, during these last two years I have read 50 books. So for this post I wanted to share a list of the books I have read and tell about my favorites. Just in case any of you are looking for a good read. The books are listed in order read.
  1. Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
  2. Shōgun by James Clavell
  3. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  4. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
  5. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
  6. Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy
  7. The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson
  8. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
  9. Life of Pi by Yann Martel
  10. World War Z by Max Brooks
  11. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H.P. Lovecraft
  12. The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest by Stieg Larsson
  13. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
  14. Pacific Vortex by Clive Cussler
  15. Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn
  16. American Assassin by Vince Flynn
  17. Mud, Sweat, and Tears by Bear Grylls
  18. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
  19. Vampire Forensics by Mark Collins Jenkins
  20. A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
  21. The Shack by William Paul Young
  22. The Third Option by Vince Flynn
  23. Kill Shot by Vince Flynn
  24. Separation of Power by Vince Flynn
  25. A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle
  26. The Wolf’s Hour by Robert R. McCammon
  27. Executive Power by Vince Flynn
  28. Memorial Day by Vince Flynn
  29. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
  30. Consent To Kill by Vince Flynn
  31. Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
  32. Inca Gold by Clive Cussler
  33. Act of Treason by Vince Flynn
  34. Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn
  35. Extreme Measures by Vince Flynn
  36. Pursuit of Honor by Vince Flynn
  37. The Last Man by Vince Flynn
  38. The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor
  39. Spartan Gold by Clive Cussler with Grant Blackwood
  40. At The Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
  41. A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
  42. Lost Empire by Clive Cyussler with Grant Blackwood
  43. The Lost City of Z by David Grann
  44. The Kingdom by Clive Cussler with Grant Blackwood
  45. Tai-Pan by James Clavell
  46. Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth by Christopher Golden
  47. The Tombs by Clive Cussler with Thomas Perry
  48. The Way of The Knife by Mark Mazzetti
  49. The Mayan Secrets by Clive Cussler with Thomas Perry
  50. Gai-Jin by James Clavell 
So I have read some series and trilogies. My favorite is definitely Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp series. I really liked the action and suspense in each book. My two favorites in the series would have to be Transfer of Power and Protect and Defend, but I really like the others too. I would certainly recommend this series for anyone who enjoys reading thrillers. Clive Cussler’s Fargo Adventures is my second favorite series. Each one had a great modern day adventure relating to some historical figure or event. I think I like The Tombs the best. I also enjoyed James Clavell’s Asian Saga, although I have not read all of them yet. The three that I have read so far were outstanding. They were long reads, but each had a gripping story-line and great character development.

As for stand alone books, I could not lock down a favorite. A runner up is Robert R. McCammon’s The Wolf’s Hour. This was another longer read, a lot of things happen in the story. But they way events unfold was really well done in my opinion. I also felt that McCammon’s depiction of the werewolf was very good and original. Another runner up is Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth. I am a big fan of the Uncharted franchise, so I had to read it. I actually really enjoyed it. I also liked Bear Grylls’s autobiography Mud, Sweat, and Tears. I good friend back home sent me a copy as a Christmas gift. I am a fan of Bear Grylls, and found a lot of inspiration from his autobiography and shared it with other volunteers as well.

So these are the books that took up some of my time here in The Gambia. I have really enjoyed being able to read here, and I hope to continue when I return home. Which is just about a month away!

No comments:

Post a Comment